TIPS FOR THE SMOOTHEST HOME BUYER EXPERIENCE
SO GLAD to meet you through the home buyer course! We can’t wait to meet you in person! 🙂
We want you to have the BEST home buying experience ever……so that means we need to make sure you know everything you can about buying a home. This course will provide some of the background …..and the Veenstra Team is always available to supply the details and service!
For those of you that skipped over this list on the sign-up page…..here’s what you’ll learn….
Lesson 1 – Steps to a Smooth Home Purchase
Lesson 2 – Get in the Strongest Negotiating Position
Lesson 3 – More than You Ever Wanted to Know about Credit and Mortgages
Lesson 4 – Secrets of the Search
Lesson 5 – FSBO who? What if I find a For Sale by Owner?
Lesson 6 – So what do I Really OWN if I Buy a Condo?
Lesson 7 – Brand New is VERY tempting!
Lesson 8 – Custom Builders vs. Production Builders
Lesson 9 – Once You Find THE ONE…..What’s next? Why Should I Pay for a Home Inspection?
Lesson 10 – Radon and Title Insurance — Do we really need to care about these?
Lesson 11 – Home Insurance Help!
Lesson 12 – Utilities, Final Walk Through, Easy Ways to Meet your Neighbors
So, How Does this Course Work Again?
So here’s the deal! We have gathered some of the best information and put them into separate lessons. You can go through this at your own speed. If you want to do it all at once, you can. At the end of each course you will find a quick form where you need to enter your email address. Once you put in your email address we will send you a link to the next lesson AND WE WILL HAVE THE NEXT LESSON appear immediately. If you want to keep working through the lessons…keep going….if you run out of time, you will be able to find a link to the next lesson in your email. So you get the best of both worlds! It’s all your choice….all at one time….or whenever you get back to it. That is what we are about….making sure you get to make the choices that are best for you!
Let’s get started…..
Most people who sell their homes are working with a real estate agent. This agent is known as a sellerʼs agent. If you choose not to hire a buyer’s agent, you will be dealing with a sellerʼs agent who is looking out for the home ownerʼs interests, and not yours. In order to protect your interests, you should have a contract with a buyer’s agent who can represent YOUR best interests! The unusual thing about contracting with a buyer’s agent is that it will not cost you anything! Yep, you read that right. In 99% of the cases, the home seller pays for all the REALTOR® costs. This is often even true with For Sale by Owner transactions. Typically the REALTOR® who is acting as a buyer agent, can negotiate with the home seller so that the home seller will pay the REALTOR® fees. The Veenstra Team can explain the specific agency law for MI when they meet you.
So, the first tip is to contract with a buyer’s agent so that your interests are protected and so the REALTOR® can represent you! We have run into some people who, for some reason or other, always call the selling agent for a house that they are interested in. This can be a very risky proposition because the buyer will not have someone representing their interests if they decide to make an offer. While a sellerʼs agent will be able to tell you the basics about a home, they are working for the homeowner. They will not try to get you the lowest price for the home. Some buyers also mistakenly think that they will find the best option by doing the searching themselves and by calling the listing agent of all the homes that they are interested in. A REALTOR® has tools and systems available to him/her which allows him/her to find out about homes sometimes even before they come on the market. A REALTOR® also has access to more information about each home than is made available to the public and can find out any information from the listing agent or can set up an appointment to preview any home on the market. So, as we mentioned above, a buyer agent actually “represents” the home buyer. SO, WE ARE NOT GOING TO LIE. WE WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU! That is the way we make a living….but it is also the way we have our fun….AND, we think you will really enjoy the process if you work with us.
Of course, there is no obligation to use us. This is a free Home Buyer Course and you need to make the choice that is best for you. We would be honored if, at the very least, you let us meet with you and get you started on the right track. We’ll work hard to earn your trust and loyalty.
Some buyers think that it is to their advantage to work with several agents when they are looking for a home. The buyers do not make a contractual relationship with any of the agents. They seem to reason that if it is good to have one agent looking for a home that it will be even better if they have several agents looking for a home to meet their needs. Usually the opposite is true. Let us tell you why….
First of all, if a buyer does not sign a buyer agency contract, the buyer still does not have someone to represent him/her. Secondly, many people do not know that REALTORS® only get paid when they help someone purchase or sell a home. They don’t get paid any hourly wages or base salary. Searching for the right home for a home buyer takes a good deal of time, energy and a good system. A good buyer agent is very serious about getting to know the needs and wants of the home buyer so that s/he can find the best. When a buyer uses many agents to “see who comes up with the right house,” each agent is likely to be less motivated to put time and energy into searching. Since the buyer has not expressed loyalty to the agent, the agent will likely not be motivated to spend much time looking when the chances are s/he won’t be paid.
- In summary, a buyer will receive the best service and have the best chance of finding the right house, at the lowest possible price, in the shortest amount of time if they commit to working with a REALTOR® who represents them as a buyer agent. The practical matter is that a REALTOR® is motivated to spend much more time to find, research and show homes to the buyer when s/he knows that s/he will be compensated for his/her work. Remember that any REALTOR® who is a member of the Multiple Listing Service can help you buy any home that is listed in the Multiple Listing Service by any Broker. In fact, the closer you work with a single agent, your Buyer Agent, the better s/he gets to know your needs and wants. Below you will see a list of criterion that has been suggested as a minimum list of qualifications for the best service. After each characteristic, we have commented in red regarding the services of the Veenstra Team. Yes, this is blatant self promotion. We will limit our self promotion in the rest of the course…..but hey, we really do want you to learn about us too! Consider finding an agent who meets the following criteria:
• Is of utmost integrity and honesty. The Veenstra Team operates under Biblical standards of integrity and excellence.
• Is full-time – Full-time professionals are able to provide more extensive and timely information. Their livelihood depends on doing a great job. With the Veenstra Team, you get the benefit of a team of 4 people who are dedicated to serving you!
• Is able to serve you as a Buyer Agent – Buyer’s Agents can represent your best interests and can effectively negotiate on your behalf. David and Jason both serve as Buyer Agents with home buyers. In addition, given that they are a team of 2 licensed agents, even if a home is listed by one of the REALTORS® of the Veenstra Team, you will be able to be represented by the other member as your Buyer Agent.
• Is a member of the MLS – Any REALTOR® you work with should be a member of the local Multiple Listing Service. This gives this person the ability to research and show you ANY home that is listed through a real estate company in that area. The Veenstra Team members are members in good standing of the MLS.
• Is someone whom you feel comfortable with – You should choose an agent who has a personality that you can relate to. Sometimes the chemistry between agents and families is not right. The Veenstra Team has excellent, well tested systems in place and has worked with over a thousand buyers and sellers. You will be able to meet the Team and read comments from past customers and clients. In addition, The Veenstra Team always offers an “easy out” of a contract if there is some reason you are uncomfortable.
• Is someone who listens to you and understands your needs and wants – A good REALTOR® will listen to you and show you homes that are suited to your needs and wants. Both David and Jason are active listeners.
• Will provide you with information about new houses on the market on a regular basis – A REALTOR® should be willing to alert you to newly available homes on a regular, timely basis. This service is primarily for the ‘serious buyer,’ or someone who is ready and able to purchase a home. This does not necessarily include people who are waiting for a home to sell before they can purchase another, people who are not pre-qualified for a loan, or for other reasons are not able to purchase a home in the immediate future. The Veenstra Team is eager to provide this service for you. Call 269-350-5514 to give us the specifications for the home you are looking for! Complete the email information and we will deliver a link to the next lesson!
MAKING SURE YOUR ARE IN THE BEST NEGOTIATING POSITION.