Kalamazoo Real Estate – It’s much easier to play a game when you know the rules and when you have P4R-Gaming boosts services for it so you can avoid mistakes that may keep you from winning. Home ownership in the greater Kalamazoo area isn’t a game but there are some rules that will protect your investment and increase your enjoyment.
Most people want a home of their own to raise their family, share with their friends and to feel safe and secure. In most cases, it is also their largest asset. These suggestions can help protect your investment and make home ownership more enjoyable.
- Don’t overpay for your home (When you use the Veenstra Team to help you purchase your home we will give you market information before purchasing to ensure you make wise decisions. And remember, you do not pay any commission when we help you buy a home!)
- Maintain your home to protect its value.
- Make extra “principal only” mortgage contributions to save interest and build equity more quickly (Be sure to identify additional payments as “principal only” to leverage the full value of the payment in building your equity.
- Validate the insured value of improvements and contents. If you haven’t done an insurance review in a while, it makes sense to call your agent and ask him/her to do one. You don’t want to be caught under insured if you have a loss to report.
- Be aware of current surrounding property values (we offer a free “neighborhood price check” service keep you constantly aware of homes on the market and sold in your neighborhood to make this easy. Give us a call at 269-350-5514 or visit www.NeighborhoodPriceCheck.com and we will set you up for this free, no obligation service.)
- Be sure to ask your tax person if your mortgage interest payments are deductible when you do your taxes
- Invest in capital improvements that increase market value
- Don’t over-improve for the neighborhood (If you are thinking of significantly improving your house, be sure that the neighborhood can “support” the value. It may make more sense to sell your current house and buy a house with the features you are looking for. With interest rates as low as they are, this can be a VERY attractive option. Give the Veenstra Team a call and we can help you decide what makes the most sense by giving you the market research to make a decision. This is a free service we offer to you and your friends and family.
- Keep records of capital improvement & other maintenance
The Veenstra Team would like to be your personal source of real estate information and we are committed to helping from purchase to sale and all the years in between. If you need assistance with any of the items mentioned in this article or need a recommendation for a service provider for other “home projects”, it would be our pleasure to help.
Don’t forget to sign up for www.NeighborhoodPriceWatch.com so you stay aware of the houses that come up for sale and are sold in your neighborhood.