How to find the right contractor, define construction and remodeling work and avoid scams and ripoffs
When you are getting work done on your home it is wise to follow the 7 steps listed below. You can do a quick read of the seven steps and then click on the link at the end of the article to read more details about each step! We want to remind you that it is important to decide whether a remodeling job is worth it before you hire that contractor. The Veenstra Team is happy to come visit your home to give you some expert Kalamazoo real estate advice. We will give you the real estate information you need to make decisions.
1. List the things you want to have done. Before you talk to a contractor think carefully about the changes you want to make to your home. Write down exactly what you want the contractor to do.
2. Get recommendations from family and friends. Talk with family, friends and neighbors who have use contractors. Find out if they were satisfied with the work, the price and the time it took to complete the job. Ask if they would use that contractor again.
3. Check out the recommendations. Once you have a list of names, do some research on them. The Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection Office can help you find out if there have been any complaints filed against a contractor or their company.
4. Compare contractors. Make sure the contractor does the kind of work you are interested in and find out how long they have been in business.
5. Get estimates. Meet with at least three contractors to discuss the job you want done and your budget.
6. Make sure that the contractor provides a WRITTEN contract . A well written, clear, and detailed contract is very important. Make sure that everything you agreed to is in writing.
7. Don’t pay the final bill until all the work is complete. Don’t make your final payment until all the work is complete and you and any necessary local building authorities have inspected the work.